I recently read of a Golf Course Irrigation Auditor certification. How does one obtain this certification? Where is the training available in Southern California? — via the Internet


The Irrigation Association (IA) has numerous certification programs. In addition to having a Certified Golf Irrigation Auditor program, they have Certified Landscape Irrigation Auditor, Certified Irrigation Designer and others. The Certified Irrigation Designer has a golf specialty.

To become certified, you must attend a required training course and pass a written exam, plus agree to follow a specific code of ethics. Once certified, you may gather irrigation water-use data, develop system testing strategies, conduct water application distribution tests, prepare site audit maps and determine irrigation water requirements. The IA, based in Falls Church, Va., and Irrigation Training and Research Center (ITRC), based at CalPoly Institute, both offer training courses. For training course dates, location and fees, visit and



Once my landscape design company obtains a pesticide license, will there be limitations on the commercial pesticides we can use? — New York


The specific guidelines for pesticide application can vary state to state. However, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency requires anyone applying pesticides to be certified as a commercial pesticide applicator or technician. For the state of New York, you must have completed a 30-hour training course approved by the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation, or have a baccalaureate or associate degree, or have two years of verifiable experience as an apprentice, to be eligible to take the exam. The two-part exam must be passed with a score of 70 percent to complete the certification process. The licensing authority is the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation. You can find them at Cornell University offers training courses that meet the requirements for certification.

Want to use this article? Click here for options!
© 2020 Penton Media Inc.

Interactive Products

Equipment Blue Book

Used Equipment Valuation Guide

Riding mowers, lawn tractors, snow throwers, golf carts


Grounds Maintenance Jobs

search our jobs database, upload your resume