AEF to Award Scholarships
The Professional Landcare Network (PLANET) recently announced that 2006 ALCA Educational Foundation (AEF) scholarships will be presented at a special breakfast as well as the closing ceremony at PLANETís Student Career Days (SCD), to be held March 23Ė26, 2006, at Brigham Young University in Provo, Utah.
Each year, AEF awards scholarships to students who are enrolled in landscape contracting and horticulture programs at two-year and four-year colleges and universities across the nation. These schools must have a PLANET-accredited landscape contracting/horticulture curriculum, be a PLANET student chapter member or participate in the PLANET Student Career Days. In 2005, AEF presented more than $38,000 in academic aid to 37 deserving students.
An annual event, SCD gathers hundreds of students from more than 50 colleges and universities across the country to participate in competitive events, network with colleagues and green industry company personnel, and interview for internships and employment possibilities.
This three-day competitive event among students enrolled in horticulture programs from colleges and universities across the country features events that are directly related to the skills necessary for a career in the green industry. The events are designed to challenge students based on current industry standards and judged by green industry companies.
The event also offers a Career Fair, which gives students the opportunity to meet prospective employers in the industry and discuss employment opportunities. Nearly 100 companies from across the U.S. participate in the fair to look for qualified employees for full-time positions and internships. To register for SCD, visit www.landcarenetwork.org/cms/studentcareerdays/schoolinfo.html.
Scholarships awarded include:
- SCD Super Star Scholarship, 1st Place $1,500
- SCD Super Star Scholarship, 2nd Place $1,000
- SCD Super Star Scholarship, 3rd Place $500
- PLANET Presidentís Scholarship, $2,500
$1,000 Named Scholarships:
- Akerman Family Scholarship
- The Theodore W. Brickman Jr. Scholarship
- Scott Byron & Co. Scholarship
- Chapel Valley Landscape Co. ó The Reeve Family Scholarship
- Damgaard Family Scholarship
- The Davey Tree Expert Company, Commercial Grounds Management Division, Scholarship
- John Deere Green Industry Scholarship
- Gachina Landscape Management, the Gachina Family Scholarship
- The Parley Glover Memorial Scholarship
- The Glowacki Family Scholarship
- Gravely Landscape Maintenance Scholarship
- GroundMasters, Inc. Scholarship
- Hunt Family Scholarship
- Hunter Industries Scholarship
- Husqvarna Scholarship
- Ron and Sally Kujawa Scholarship
- Shirley B. Mangum Family Scholarship
- Vito Mariani Sr. Scholarship
- The Marjorie and B.E. Minor Scholarship
- James Martin Scholarship
- Moore Landscape Scholarship
- Bill and Mary Murdy Scholarship
Want to use this article? Click here for options!
© 2016 Penton Media Inc.