Business Professionals Partner to Renovate Athletic Field
Students returning to school in the Molalla School District, located just south of Portland, Ore., will be greeted with a completely renovated athletic field. The renovation came as a result of generous donations—both time and materials—provided by business professionals throughout Oregon.
Bill Rose, chairman of the Scotts Grass Seed Advisory Council, volunteered his time to coordinate the project. “The level of participation throughout the community was outstanding,” said Rose. “And what a great message for students to see businesses come together for the sake of a good-will project.”
The renovation included a custom irrigation system, new grandstand and locker rooms, and sports turf consisting of a combination of ryegrass and bluegrass with intentions of having bluegrass dominate in three years. Sponsors include:
- Scotts Turf-Seed donated a seed blend of Quicksilver perennial ryegrass, High Noon Kentucky bluegrass and North Star Kentucky bluegrass.
- J.D. Clarizio, golf course superintendent and co-owner at Arrowhead Golf Club, took charge of the seeding and installed the irrigation system.
- Dale and Julie Burghardt donated $650,000 for grandstand and locker rooms.
- The field was tiled by Hostetler Farm Tiling while Avison Rock Quarry provided clean drain medium to fill the trench.
- Woodburn Fertilizer furnished the soil test, fertilizer and lime; fertilizer is Royal Green 19/3/16, 70 percent slow release, plus pellatized lime to bring pH to neutral.
- Steve and Jeff Heyerly of East Valley Farms donated tillage work including sub-soiling, disking, leveling and compaction.
- Martinis & Hill law office prepared the indemnification operating agreement.
The project was originally initiated by Derik Burghardt while Glenn Peterson, interim facilities supervisor at Molalla River School District, served as the district point person.
Want to use this article? Click here for options!
© 2017 Penton Media Inc.