Lawn & garden trivia
From Briggs & Stratton come these interesting facts you may not know about mower maintenance, lawnmowers and turfgrass.
- Out of 102 million total households in the United States, 66 million own lawnmowers.
- Of the 66 million mower-owning households in the United States, approximately 40 million don’t perform any maintenance on their machines.
- Regular mower maintenance can:
- There are more than 30 million mowable acres of lawn in the United States, an area roughly the size of Pennsylvania.
- The average person mows his/her lawn 30 times a season, which equals about three feet of turfgrass.
- Adults spend an average of 3.8 hours per week during the spring and summer working on the lawn and garden.
- A well-maintained lawn and landscape can add up to 15 percent to the value of a house.
- Eight healthy front lawns have the cooling effect of 70 tons of air conditioning—enough to cool 16 homes.
- Enough oxygen is released by 2,500 square feet of well-maintained turfgrass to meet the needs of a family of four—every day.
- Reduce emissions up to 50 percent
- Reduce fuel consumption up to 30 percent
- Restore horsepower up to 7.5 percent
- Extend equipment life