Snow and ice ahead—be ready!
The University of Iowa is offering a web-based class, Winter Highway Maintenance, designed for winter maintenance practitioners. The class is semi-asynchronous. That means that students do not have to log on at a specific time but are required to complete assignments according to a pre-defined schedule. Each week of the class includes homework problems and a discussion topic. Students also take a mid-term exam and work on a project. The topics of the class include:
- economics and safety in winter maintenance;
- de-icing and anti-icing chemicals;
- abrasives and friction;
- the mechanics of snow plowing;
- snow fences and winter visibility;
- RWIS and other winter storm information;
- and novel technologies in winter maintenance.
You can see a demo at: http://www.uiowa.edu/~ccp/courses/whm_demo/ or call 800-272-6430 for more information.
Want to use this article? Click here for options!
© 2016 Penton Media Inc.