Professional Landscape Designers Announce 2005 Leadership
Bobbie Schwartz, APLD, owner of Bobbie’s Green Thumb, Shaker Heights, Ohio, was elected president of the Association of Professional Landscape Designers to lead the association through 2005. She served APLD as president-elect in 2004 and certification chairperson for six years.
Other officers include president-elect: Judy DePue, APLD, owner/designer, New Vistas Landscaping, Goshen, Ind.; secretary-treasurer: Kathy Stokes-Shafer, APLD, Landscape Designer & Teacher, Garden Graphics, Strongsville, Ohio; and past president: Patricia Ouderkirk, APLD, Patricia S. Ouderkirk Landscape Design, Bridgehampton, N.Y.
Schwartz, a member of APLD since 1991, says, “As president I want to find ways to reach out to landscape designers who still don’t know about APLD and what it can offer them. And, I want each person who is already a member to find APLD membership to be both a necessity and a great benefit.” She said she finds the benefits of belonging to APLD to be “enormous,” adding that it is “invaluable in networking with other designers about mutual problems, including running a design business and solving design problems.” She also feels her certification by APLD is a distinction that sets her apart, signaling to the public and to potential customers a commitment to the design profession.
Also named to APLD leadership positions were:
- Awards chairperson – W. James Coile, APLD, founder, Coile and Associates, Inc., Pegram, Tenn.
- Certification chairperson – Judy Nauseef, APLD, landscape designer, Judy Nauseef Landscape Design, Iowa City, Iowa
- Chapter chairperson - Patrick Bones, APLD, designer, Brighton Design, Tulsa, Okla.
- Communications chairperson – Daniel Lowery, APLD, owner/designer, Queen Anne Gardens, Seattle, Wash.
- Communications vice-chairperson - Nicolien van Schouwen, co-owner, European Garden Design, Takoma Park, Md.
- Education chairperson – Dr. Jules Bruck, APLD, Evolution Landscape Design, Media, Pa.
- Environmental chairperson – Susan Weber, APLD, owner, Urban Wild Ltd, Columbus, Ohio
- Membership chairperson – Patricia St. John, APLD, owner, Patricia St. John Landscape Design, Berkeley, Calif.
- National program chairperson – Samuel Salsbury, APLD, president, Salsbury-Schweyer, Inc, Akron, Ohio
- Regional meetings chairperson – Kathy Snyder Hubner, APLD, Gill Landscape Nursery, Corpus Christi, Texas
- Regulatory affairs chairperson – Laurie Callaway, APLD, owner, Garden Design, Palo Alto, Calif.
All leadership positions are for a one-year term, beginning on January 1. For more information about the APLD, visit their Web site at www.apld.org.
Want to use this article? Click here for options!
© 2017 Penton Media Inc.