GCBAA Promotes Certification
The Golf Course Builders Association of America (GCBAA) continues to promote and encourage participation in its Professional Certification Member Program in the on-going effort to maintain and increase the overall quality of the golf construction industry.
“Our certification program has been very successful in many aspects,” GCBAA Executive Director Paul Foley says. “The program has set a professional standard for golf course builders that brings with it added credibility and ethical standards for members who have gained certification. It not only gives our members the opportunity to achieve special status, it allows golf course owners, architects, developers and superintendents a method to select companies that have met strict standards.”
GCBAA Certified Members must meet the following requirements:
- Be verified as a golf course construction business for a minimum of five years having constructed at least one 18-hole course (or equivalent) each of those five years.
- Provide references from five of the following seven categories: course owner/developer, irrigation designer, golf course superintendent, golf course architect, municipality, GCBAA Certified Golf Course Builder.
- Provide references from financial institution, credit agency, insurance company and bonding company.
- An officer of the company must pass a written Certification Exam.
- Attend a least one GCBAA meeting per year.
- Consistently engage in ethical business practices
A special listing and detailed biography of the Certified Members is contained in the annual GCBAA Membership Directory. Currently, 32 members have achieved Certification status. Certification is an on-going process and builders are recertified annually.
To apply for certification, GCBAA members must submit an application and secure the necessary letters of reference and supporting documentation. Once the application is accepted, a company representative will be given the two-hour certification exam.
Want to use this article? Click here for options!
© 2017 Penton Media Inc.