Northeast Ohio Lawn Care Seminar Provides Education and Demonstrations
The Ohio Lawn Care Association (OLCA) announces the 3rd Annual Northeast Ohio Lawn Care Seminar, an all day lawn care workshop, is planned for Thursday, June 16, 2005. The Northeast Ohio Lawn Care Seminar will be held at the Ohio Agricultural Research & Development Center (OARDC), Wooster, Ohio.
Everyone involved in professional lawn and landscape maintenance is invited to attend this informative event. The workshop will feature presentations at turfgrass research plots on various topics including:
- Industrial Vegetation (Category 5, 0.5 Credit hrs.) – Randy Zondag, Ohio State University (OSU) Extension
- Weed Control/Grass Identification (Category 8, 0.5 hr) – John Cardina, OARDC, Department of Horticulture & Crop Science
- Lawn Insects (Category 8, 0.5 hr) - Doug Richmond, Purdue University, Asst. Professor, Department of Entomology
- Ornamental Diseases (Category 6A, 0.5 hr) – Jim Chatfield, OSU Extension
- Spray Drift (CORE, 0.5 hr) – Dean Slates, OSU Extension
- Urban Landscape Ecology Program (General Session), Dr. Parwinder Grewal, OARDC, Department of Entomology
New this year will be a separate workshop on New Pesticide Applicator Training for those interested in obtaining their pesticide applicator’s license. Following the New Pesticide Applicator training, exams will be administered by the Ohio Department of Agriculture. Those who are interested should register early, as space will be limited to the first 50 participants.
“This Field Day provides a unique opportunity for lawn care operators to see test plots of long-cut grass that we deal with on a daily basis”, informs Jamie Heydinger, OLCA education committee chair. “These plots include Turf Type Tall Fescue, Perennial Ryegrass, and all the new varieties of Bluegrass.”
The field day will also feature lawn service equipment demonstrations. Participants will have the opportunity to test drive lawn service equipment provided by many of the industry’s leading manufacturers. The hands-on workshop and equipment demonstrations promise to provide an abundance of education and networking opportunities with industry peers, suppliers and the OSU Turfgrass Science Team.
Registration, limited to the first 200 participants includes a continental breakfast and lunch. The cost to pre-register (before June 9) is just $30 for OLCA members ($20 each additional person per company) and $65 for non-members. On-site registration (if available) will cost $35 each OLCA member and $80 for non-members. A registration form may be downloaded from OLCA’s website, www.OhioLawnCare.org, under Calendar of Events.
Want to use this article? Click here for options!
© 2017 Penton Media Inc.